Sunday, June 05, 2005

Open letter to the makers of shampoo bottles



This my view with blurred lenses


Which one is the shampoo?


Eenie.. Meenie..


I have a complaint about the accessibility properties of shampoo and conditioner bottles, and I believe most people that have less than 20-20 vision agree with me on this.

My vision is quite poor, but the use of contact lenses let me function normally in my daily life. But there is one situation in particular where contacts aren't very helpful - in the shower. The water makes them blur or shift around on my eyeballs, and the result is uncorrected vision.

I can manage to adjust the water and wash myself in all the important places without perfect vision, but when I come to the point where I'm about to pick up the shampoo bottle I run into problems.

I must admit, I'm not very interested in the different brands of shampoo on the market. To me, it doesn't really matter much if I end up washing my hair with Dove, Naturelle or Fructis. I leave the shopping for haircare products to my wife. That also means that I don't really know much about how the different bottles look, I just want to find one that states Shampoo on the front of it. This is where the problem arises. I can't read it!

I can perfectly well read the brand name on the bottle, because this is written in huge letters covering the width of the bottle. But like I said, I don't care about the brand! All I really want to know is whether it contains shampoo or conditioner - or something else that I really don't want to put in my hair. But the letters are written so small it's impossible to make out.

And on top of it, they make the shampoo and conditioner bottles almost identical. There is usually some difference between them, like a slightly different color, or one of them having the opening on the top while the other one having it on the bottom. But this just helps me nada since I don't know which is which - due to my previously stated lack of interest in haircare products and their bottle designs.

So my request to the makers of shampoo bottles it this: Could you please print the words Shampoo and Conditioner in a large, clear, easily readable type so that also people in the shower - where the bottles will be used most likely - with water in their eyes, can read it?

Until then, I'll have my wife buy me one of those combined products like the Wash-n-Go with both the shampoo and conditioner in the same bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment